Friday, November 5, 2010

Coors Brewery & Golden Gate Canyon State Park

Sept. 19, 2010

The Coors Brewery is tucked away in the small town of Golden, CO.  Keep in mind while reading my thoughts about the Coors Brewery that I grew up in St. Louis, MO... Home of Anheuser Busch. 

In comparing the two there are a few differences.  The first thing that I thought was neat was that we parked in a lot pretty far from the main entrance and shuttle picked us up to take us to the brewery tour.  Along the way the shuttle takes you through the historic parts of Golden and the shuttle driver talks about why this city was chosen for the Coors brewery.  It's pretty fascinating, and the town is quite cute.  Another perk is you get three free beers and one sample along the tour, as opposed to Anheuser where you get two free ones and no sample.

On the flip side the Coors Brewery doesn't have as much character.  The building itself is quite boring, looks like just another factory.  The tour is guided by hand held device where you simply push the number of the room you're in and you hear some computer tell you what you're looking at.  I didn't care for that since it doesn't allow you to ask any questions.  I prefer the tour guide at Anheuser.  When you get to the tasting room to get your free beer you have to buy pretzels or other snacks, which I didn't know so I didn't have cash on me for vending machines.  At Anheuser you get free pretzels.

It was a neat experience though, and I am getting used to living in Coors country.  When I try to order a Budlight around here I get reminded of that. 



Panorama Point

 After the brewery tour we headed to Golden Gate Canyon State Park.  This is a neat little park and I was disappointed that we didn't have enough time to see more of it.

As long as you have a four wheel drive vehicle take the steep rocky road up to Panorama Point.  The view from there is breathtaking!  From this point you can see quite a few of the fourteeners in Colorado.  Fourteeners, for those who don't know, are mountains that excede 14,000 feet in elevation.  Basically, the pretty ones, so to see so many of these from one view point is really neat. 

Golden Gate Canyon State Park has many hiking trails.  We tried the raccoon trail, but didn't do the whole trail due to time constraints and the level of difficulty.  I'm not sure how long the trail is, but I'd say we made it half a mile before we realized we were going straight downhill and the hike back up would have been awful.  So, we cut it short, enjoyed the view, and then headed home.  I would like to go back and explore more of the park if we get the chance.   

No comments:

Post a Comment