Sunday, June 17, 2012

Estes Cone

July 31, 2011

Estes Cone is the hardest hike I have done to date.  The hike is 6.4 miles round trip and I would rate it moderate to strenuous.  It was definitely strenuous for me anyway!  The elevation gain is just over 2,000 feet so it's a pretty steep hike.



The trail starts at The Longs Peak Trailhead/Ranger Station.  This parking lot fills up fast so get there early!  I got there around 7am and I had to park along the overflow area.  The Longs Peak hike handles a lot of overnight backpackers, so it can be crowded.



Estes Cone is a very popular hike in Rocky Mountain National Park and is ranked as one of toughest hikes in the park.  Luckily, this wasn't brought to my attention until we were already well on our way to the summit!






The first point of interest along the hike is the old site of the Eugenia Mine.  There are still the old remains of a log cabin but from what I've read no one left the site any richer and it was abandoned around the turn of the century.  It's still neat to wonder what kind of people once camped where you're standing.

Estes Cone
Just past the Eugenia Mine you come to a clearing filled with beautiful wildflowers and your first alarming view of your destination; the summit of Estes Cone.  Looks pretty intimidating doesn't it?  Well, for a beginner hiker it was intimidating anyway.  But, staring at it I felt it was challenging me, so we kept going.

Beyond the clearing the trail begins to get much steeper!  The switchbacks start and they are followed by giant steps of rocks leading straight up to the summit.  At parts it was hard to find the trail, but Rocky Mountain National Park marks their trails very well with colored tabs on the trees or piles of rocks (called cairns).  Then, when I thought I wasn't going to make it up anymore, we reached the summit.

Summit View from Estes Cone
Summit View of Estes Park from Estes Cone
I had done it!  I was very proud of myself.  Heck, being a girl from St. Louis with asthma I never thought I'd be standing on the summit of an 11,006 foot mountain that I just climbed.  It was a very inspiring moment for me.
I Conquered Estes Cone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment